2019 Erik Duval Travel Scholarship
This scholarship fund is in memory of Dr. Erik Duval (1965-2016), Professor of Computer Science at the University of Leuven and one of the foremost researchers in the field of Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) for more than a decade. Erik was a loved and respected adviser and mentor to many early career researchers and students. In his honour, and to continue his legacy, SoLAR established the Erik Duval Travel Scholarships in 2016 to assist students in attending and participating in intensive workshops at the Learning Analytics Summer Institutes (LASI).
The Society for Learning Analytics Research, is now accepting applications for a limited number of scholarships to fund doctoral students who are currently enrolled and in good standing in any program of learning analytics, data science, or a related discipline that requires domestic or international travel assistance to attend SoLAR’s Learning Analytics Summer Institute (LASI). The 2019 event is being held at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, June 17-19, 2019. Preference will be given to students enrolled at Institutional Members of SoLAR.
- Application must be received by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Friday, March 29, 2019.
Funding is contingent on the student meeting all eligibility criteria and completing the scholarship application.
- Scholarship funds will be reimbursed to students AT the event through PayPal transfer. Exceptions for different payment methods will need to be requested in writing prior to LASI to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If the student is unable to travel or withdraws from the event, reimbursement will not take place.
- Applicants must be SoLAR Student members PRIOR to application submission.
- Enrolled in a credit-bearing doctoral program in a related field. Proof of Enrollment (Enrollment Verification) must be provided.
- Must submit a completed application by the above deadline. No late applications will be accepted and ALL application materials must be submitted within the deadline.
- SoLAR Student Membership + Proof of Enrollment + Completed Application Form + Recommendation Letter; All of these application materials must be submitted by the March 29, 2019 deadline to be considered.
- All applicants must have one recommendation on file. The recommender must send the recommendation letter by the March 29, 2019 deadline. Submission instructions below.
Applications and proof of enrollment should be submitted via the Google Form found here: https://goo.gl/forms/jQDBSVbD9KL2JqOG2 by 5:00 p.m. Eastern time on March 29, 2019. The letter of recommendation should be sent directly to Nicole Hoover, SoLAR Event & Management Coordinator via e-mail (email@example.com ) from the recommender by the deadline.
Please direct questions to Nicole Hoover, Event & Management Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The below information is the information required for the 2019 Erik Duval Travel Scholarship. As stated above, applications MUST be submitted via the Google Form. The information below is provided simply for convenience and to assist in timely submissions.
Link to Google Form for submission.
I. Contact & Academic Information
Currently Enrolled Academic Program:
Advisor and/or Program Director Name:
II. The Learning Analytics Community and You
1. SoLAR prides itself on providing a global learning analytics community and welcoming new students and individuals into the field and the community. Please tell us in 250 words or less how you see LASI helping you in your field of study and your future career. How will working with the community support your learning, and what do you expect to learn from attending LASI? (250 words or less)
2. What areas of Learning Analytics interest you most? Based on the LASI19 offerings, what topics do you think will assist you in your current studies? And how does your doctoral program relate to LASI and the broader SoLAR community? (250 words or less)
III. Additional information
Please include proof of enrollment with the submission of your application. In addition to your application, you are required to submit one letter of recommendation, preferably from your advisor or program director, and should include the following:
· in what capacity the recommender knows the applicant,
· how long they have known the applicant,
· how this scholarship and LASI attendance will help the applicant in the future.