Norwegian University of Science and Technology
About the position
We have a vacancy for a 100% Postdoc position at the Department of Computer Science (IDI) at Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (IE).
The position reports to Head of the department of Computer Science.
Main duties and responsibilities
The candidate will be a member of the Information Systems and Software Engineering research group and work with the “COMnPLAY-Science: Learning science the fun and creative way: coding, making, and play as vehicles for informal science learning in the 21st century” project (http://comnplayscience.eu).
The successful candidate will work with the following task:
- Assist in the collection and categorization of COMnPLAY-Science practices
- Plan and conduct empirical evaluation of the COMnPLAY-Science case studies
- Analyze collected data and write up project reports and research articles related to COMnPLAY-Science project
- Assist in the administrative tasks of the COMnPLAY-Science project
A postdoctoral research fellowships is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. Completion of a Norwegian doctoral degree in learning technology, learning analytics, CS education, learner/user centered design or equivalent is required, or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required.
The position requires strong English oral and writing skills as the candidate will be interacting with a team of international researcher. The job will include providing several progress reports in English.
If the applicant’s PhD is not from an English-speaking country, the following tests can be used as documentation: TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A
In extraordinary circumstances, formal documentation of language skills can be relinquished. In such cases the candidate’s language skills will be assessed in a personal interview.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA.
The candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Hands-on experience with implementing coding activities for pre-college students
- Experience with conducting case studies and collecting data
- Good understanding of quantitative and qualitative analysis methods
- Demonstrated research capability via a good publications record
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
The following qualifications will be considered as an advantage:
- Expertise with child-centered design and research on Making and Playing (as described here: https://comnplayscience.eu/
- Experience with participation in research projects (e.g., EU, national)
Emphasis will be put on personal qualities and potential as a researcher. High importance will also be attached to personal communication and cooperation skills.
Potential successful candidate will be interviewed via Skype or other means.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Proven ability to work independently as well as in teams
- Strong motivation to contribute to good working and social environment
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
Salary and conditions
(velg korrekt stilling)
Postdoctoral candidates are remunerated in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 515 200 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 2 years ( without required duties). Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in [subject area] (Link to website, if applicable).
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public e
The national labour force must reflect the composition of the population to the greatest possible extent, NTNU wants to increase the proportion of women in its scientific posts. Women are encouraged to apply. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life (http://trondheim.com/). Having a population of 200 000, Trondheim is a small city by international standards with low crime rates and little pollution. It also has easy access to a beautiful countryside with mountains and a dramatic coastline.
Questions about the position can be directed to Michail Giannakos, e-mail email@example.com, or Head of the Department Professor John Krogstie, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
ven if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
About the application:
The application must contain:
- One-page cover letter including an explanation of how your research interests and background would fit the position
- Information about education and relevant experience (academic CV)
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree
- A short essay (up to 1000 words) describing his/her view of the main research challenges in learning technologies for CS education
- The PhD thesis and other publications (Max 5) relevant to the research scope and any other work which the applicant wishes to be taken into account should clearly indicate the applicant’s contribution
- Names and contact information of at least two references
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant’s contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI): http://www.chsi.com.cn/en/).
Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2019/16754 when applying.
Application deadline: 31.07.2019
To apply for this job please visit www.jobbnorge.no.