Website Educational Testing Service
Would you like to work in a highly collaborative professional environment, applying data analysis and statistical programming methods to help answer challenging research questions and support the development of new educational assessments? If this sounds intriguing, then we’d like to talk to you about joining our team of dedicated and innovative research data analysts.
ETS is the world’s premier educational measurement institution and a leader in educational research. As an innovator in developing achievement and occupational tests for clients in education, business, and government, ETS is determined to advance educational excellence for the communities we serve.
Headquartered in Princeton, NJ, ETS Research & Development has openings for research data analysts at all levels in the Data Analysis and Research Technologies department. Our research data analysts collaborate with ETS research scientists on a wide variety of research initiatives and with ETS psychometricians in developing solutions supporting the analysis of assessment results. This is an excellent opportunity to be a part of a research and development team and have a significant impact on the next generation of assessments.
The Statistical Analysis, Data Analysis and Psychometric Research (SADA&PR) area of Research & Development seeks a Director for its Next Generation Psychometrics and Data Science unit. This unit focuses on forward-thinking research drawing upon expertise of an interdisciplinary team in conducting psychometric research and in integrating data science approaches with psychometrics to meet the challenges and opportunities that arise in complex digital and interactive assessments. The Director will have responsibility for overseeing and managing current projects, for participating in setting future research direction and agendas, conducting independent research projects and/or collaborating with others on research projects, managing and mentoring current and future scientists, and working collaboratively with other researchers across ETS R&D. The Director is expected to work closely with the leadership of ETS programs, as well as with external clients, boards, and advisory committees.
Required Skills and Responsibilities
- Conceptualize, plan, develop, coordinate, and obtain funding for interdisciplinary programs of research to support advanced psychometrics and data science research. Direct and administer personnel, fiscal, operational, and policy implementation activities for the research unit.
- Develop a research agenda that draws upon advanced psychometrics to investigate psychometric issues
surrounding next generation assessments and apply advanced computational analytics solutions to advance the field of data science in educational assessment.
- Keep abreast of cutting edge of data science research and big data technologies by leading, implementing and creating novel solutions to influence decisions at various levels in the organization. Coordinate and manage interdisciplinary teams across R&D to efficiently execute roadmaps.
- Collaborate with ETS researchers to identify domain areas of research and practice that can be accelerated through the application of new approaches in advanced psychometrics, data science and analytics.
- Design, propose, and direct complex scientific studies functioning as an expert in major facets of the studies; function as an expert by applying acquired knowledge, skills, and experiences to assessment and psychometric issues and questions as it relates to the development of quantitative models, predictive analytics, and simulations. Provide expert consultation and collaboration on challenges arising from substantive research projects, testing programs, or corporate management concerns.
- Participate in determining research policies and priorities with broad implications. Provide consultative services to ETS programs and serve on policy and planning committees.
- Coordinate and contribute to the development of proposals and budgets, both internally, and, in response to requests for proposals from external clients.
- Implement dissemination activities utilizing various methodologies to reach specific audiences, including developing innovative visualizations to communicate complex idea to non-technical experts and the general audience. Disseminate knowledge through research papers, technical reports, presentations, and seminars that have an impact on the field and ETS.
- Initiate, develop, promote, and maintain professional relationships as representative, consultant or advisor to external advisory or policy boards and councils, research organizations, educational institutions and educators. Respond to requests initiated by colleagues, educators, and, as appropriate, the press and the public.
- Direct the scientific, financial and administrative conduct of major research or development projects, exercising well-developed skills in the management of people and other resources.
- Supervise and actively mentor more junior staff. Assign or recommend the assignment of staff to research programs and projects and evaluate their performance. Review, approve, and monitor personnel actions, including employee selection, training, performance appraisal, corrective or disciplinary actions.
Education and Experience
- A Doctoral degree in a quantitative discipline, such as psychometrics, statistics, computer science, and applied mathematics, social and educational sciences is required.
- Six years of progressive responsibility for research leadership is required. Experience in psychometric research as well as data science is preferable. Experience with proposal development and facilitating interdisciplinary research is a plus.
- Solid analytical problem-solving capability with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Psychometric and statistical models for modeling responses from interactive assessments, advanced data mining and predictive modeling skills, including machine learning techniques such as decision trees, neural networks, clustering, regression, Bayesian models etc.
- Proficient with one or more programming language such as Python, R, Scala, Java, Perl, C++, etc.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Women and Minorities.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is a Drug-free workplace.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://etscareers.pereless.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=83080.viewjobdetail&CID=83080&JID=255068 →